Saturday, September 27, 2008

Getting Lost...Part I and II

So if traveling to a place you aren’t familiar with is difficult, then living in a country where you don’t know the language is impossible. My goal for the day was to find the bus from Villaviciosa to the Príncipe Pío station in Madrid. I only had two euros with me because I hadn’t taken out any cash yet, but it was only 2 euros to take the bus so I thought I would be ok. As it turns out, I got on the right bus but going in the wrong direction for about 20 minutes or so. When the bus driver reached his last stop, I had to get off and try to find my correct bus, which I found pretty quickly. I was feeling confident this time, and reached into my wallet to give the driver my money. The only money I had was 1.20 euros, I had to pay my other euro to get on the first bus. When the bus driver realized I didn’t have enough money, he stopped the bus in the middle of the street and opened the doors. I couldn’t believe my luck, he was kicking me out! Yup, I got kicked off the bus in the middle of the street with cars behind me honking and everything. I was shocked and embarrassed, so I quietly got off and started aimlessly walking. It sucked. And to top it all off, Brie called me right then to tell me that she was lost too! We were both laughing a lot because it was pretty funny that we were both wondering around places that were very far from our destination. But we got it all figured out and we finally made it to Madrid.
After taking the bus to and from Madrid a couple more times, I again was feeling pretty confident that I knew where I was going. This time, on my way home from Madrid, I got off the bus stop way too early and ended up walking for a ½ a mile or so on the side of the highway. It wouldn’t have been so bad if there had been a sidewalk or something. But no, just a little dirt strip running parallel to the highway. I'm not going to lie, I was pretty nervous but I just kept walking and eventually I found my house. What an adventure it is living in Spain!

3 comments:

About Me said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
About Me said...

Okay, I have to tell you that the highlight is reading yours and Brie's blogs. What adventure you two are having. You will have memories for life. I laugh everytime I read them. Keep them up so we all can follow you two.I am so excited for you two. Have a great day. By the way how was your banana? That was funny. Diane:)

Sierra and Ryan said...

I would be in a lot of trouble in I were there...if you are getting lost (and I know you have better "direction sense" than me) I would never get around! I love reading your blog!